Call Jackie on 07968 542 735

Legal Requirements

Energy Performance Certificate

All properties marketed for sale or let require a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) prior to marketing. If you are unsure whether your property has one please ask and we will check this for you.  We can arrange an EPC on your behalf for a cost of £80 and the certificate will last for 10 years. This fee will need to be paid prior to marketing.

Landlords Gas Safety Certificate

It is against the law to let a property without a valid Gas Safety Certificate. A gas safety certificate is required by law to be held for all rental accommodation in the UK where there are gas appliances present. The requirement is enshrined in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The law requires all gas appliances in a rented property to be checked annually, with a gas safety record being completed and a copy provided to tenants. Gas safety certificates, sometimes referred to as a CP12 (From CORGI Proforma 12 when CORGI was the UK body for gas safety matters), are completed by engineers who must be registered with the Gas Safe Register scheme which took over from the previous CORGI scheme in 2009.

Furniture and Furnishings

Furniture and furnishings supplied in rental accommodation must comply with The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended). Some materials used to fill or cover furniture particularly older and second hand furniture may be a fire risk and often produces poisonous gases when burning; such as cyanide or carbon monoxide. There are severe penalties for non-compliance. If you let your residential property furnished you must ensure that certain types of furniture and furnishings provided meet the current safety regulations – failure to comply with the regulations is a criminal offence. If you are unsure please ask and we will be happy to explain in more details.

Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and Plugs and Sockets etc (Safety) Regulations 1994

There is no statutory obligation for landlords to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under Common Law and various statutory regulations: The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, The Housing Act 2004, The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, and the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe. Moreover, under Part P of the Building Regulations, it is a requirement that certain types of electrical work in dwellings, garages, sheds, greenhouses and outbuildings also comply with the standards. In all cases, a competent electrician must carry out the work. In order for the landlord to perform DIY electrical work, he must belong to one of the Government’s approved Competent Person Self-Certification schemes or submit a building notice to the local authority before doing the work himself.